Friday, August 21, 2026 Get the newsletter →
Morning/News Watch
The stories that matter today
Science

DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Becomes Nation’s Deadliest as Cases Top 5,000

The World Health Organization has declared the expanding Ebola outbreak a global emergency as conflict, delayed detection and mistrust complicate containment efforts.

DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Becomes Nation’s Deadliest as Cases Top 5,000

The Big Picture

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has become the deadliest in the country’s history, according to government data reported by The Guardian. At least 2,325 people had died as of August 17, surpassing the death toll from the country’s 2018-20 Ebola outbreak.

The outbreak is also continuing to expand. The Democratic Republic of Congo’s public health institute reported 4,945 confirmed cases on August 17, including 101 cases detected in the preceding 24 hours. By August 18, infections had passed 5,000, according to the World Health Organization, which described the outbreak as a global emergency.

The figures underscore the speed and scale of an outbreak that officials have warned could become the deadliest Ebola crisis ever recorded, not only in Congo but globally.

What Happened

Government figures released earlier in August showed more than 4,500 cases and more than 2,100 deaths. Within days, reported totals had climbed further: confirmed cases reached 4,945 on August 17, while the death count rose to at least 2,325.

The outbreak had spread to a sixth province by August 13, officials said. A man died in Bas-Uele after travelling from Haut-Uele, The Guardian reported. The geographic expansion added to concerns that transmission was moving beyond areas already under pressure from the response.

On August 18, the WHO said the number of infections had exceeded 5,000 and characterized the outbreak as a global emergency. Officials have warned that new chains of transmission are still being identified and must be broken to halt the spread, according to Al Jazeera.

Why It Matters

The current death toll has already exceeded that of Congo’s 2018-20 outbreak, making it the country’s deadliest Ebola outbreak on record. The number of known infections has also grown rapidly.

WHO data cited by The Guardian illustrate the unusual scale of the present crisis. At the equivalent point in the 2014-16 West African Ebola outbreak, which remains the deadliest outbreak in history and killed at least 11,000 people, 755 cases had been recorded. Congo’s current outbreak had already recorded more than 4,500 cases by August 11.

That comparison does not establish how the current outbreak will ultimately develop, but it helps explain the urgency surrounding the WHO’s declaration and the calls for a stronger response.

Background

Efforts to contain Ebola in eastern Congo have been complicated by conflict, delayed detection and mistrust, Al Jazeera reported. Those conditions can make it harder to identify cases quickly, trace contacts and interrupt transmission.

The spread to Bas-Uele also points to the challenge of monitoring movement between provinces. Health officials are confronting an outbreak that has expanded across multiple areas while continuing to generate newly identified cases.

The available reports do not specify the full scope of response operations or the amount of funding currently available. But the WHO has tied the prospects for rapid containment to whether adequate resources are provided.

What Happens Next

The WHO has said the outbreak can be brought under control in three months if sufficient funding is provided. That assessment offers a possible timetable for containment, but it is conditional on resources reaching the response.

In the immediate term, officials are focused on identifying and breaking remaining chains of transmission. The pace of newly reported cases, the outbreak’s presence in six provinces and the operational obstacles in eastern Congo will be critical measures of whether that effort is succeeding.

For now, the official counts continue to rise, and the country is confronting an Ebola outbreak that has already set a grim national record.

More stories